Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Thinker - Fulfillment






ful·fill·ment/fo͝olˈfilmənt/

Noun:
  1. Satisfaction or happiness as a result of fully developing one’s abilities or character.
  2. The achievement of something desired, promised, or predicted: “winning the championship was the fulfillment of a childhood dream”.

What is it about our generation that makes this seem so hard to achieve?

It seams to me that we have all been taught that to achieve happiness we either have to be rich or doing something we love. It’s a known fact that today more and more people change their careers in the pursuit of work that is more fulfilling. However, accomplishing this gets harder every day.

We see other artists and professionals reaching great success, which results in fear of failure or desire to succeed. Both of which still making it difficult to actually feel fulfilled in the process. 

I can speak for myself in saying, when I see photographers, choreographers, and other artist, I often think to my self ‘I could do what they do! I should pursue more things to fill my time, to be happier’.

Why has it become so hard to be happy where we are now?… Not being a rock star, but enjoying music, not performing behind Beyonce, but loving dancing, not directing movies, but making art. I’m not talking about settling and giving up, I’m simply saying that perhaps taking a step back from the competition to enjoy where you are in the process, can be a good thing. 

So, in light of this, I herby vow for the rest of 2013, to find smaller joys everyday to leave me feeling fulfilled.

Things that make me feel fulfilled:

- wake up earlier 
- eat a full breakfast
- change out of my PJs even when I'm home all day
- make a pointe to get out of the house everyday, even if it's to grocery shop, or walk around the block.
- paint my nails
- tackle my 'To Do' list one thing at a time
- take mini breaks to send texts to Chris
- exercise every day, even for 5 min. (dance parties count)
- smile, life's good!

What I did to kick this off today: 

- woke up early to make my favorite breakfast of 2 soft boiled eggs, soldiers (toast cut into dunking strips), and iced coffee
- took a one hour Cardio Barre class.
- went for a quick swim in the pool to cool off
- tanned for 30 min. (tan lines in a wedding dress = not cute)
- showered (I actually shaved and moisterized too... whoa!)
- sent a work e-mail about a potential job.
- wrote this blog post.

All before 12pm people! It might not seem like much, but in my world, it's certainly doing the trick! Already feeling fulfilled and the day's only getting started!

What's something you do to feel like you've had a fulfilling day? And no, putting things on your 'To Do' list that you've already done doesn't count. (been there, done that)


xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment