Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Artist's Pledge

Every once and a while I get myself into a funk. I forget why I chose the career of an artist, and I get upset when i'm not working constantly, when I make a mistake in rehearsals, and when I feel uninspired. The truth is, this happens to everyone working in the arts and I KNOW I am not alone. 

Today I spent some time online looking for some inspiration and motivation to do something creative with my free time, whether it be dance related or not. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this wonderful artist's pledge and it really lifted my spirits. I can't tell you who wrote it but if you know, please pass along the info. 

It's exactly what I needed to read and I hope you find something wonderful in these words as well. 


I hereby do solemnly swear,
To approach each day with curiosity
To pay attention to the world around me,
To be brave and courageous,
Silly and embarrassed,
Thoughtful and enthusiastic.

I vow to take chances and to stretch my limits
In the knowledge that there are
No mistakes,
Just bad follow-through's

I acknowledge the need to abandon my ego
In the service of art
And in the spirit of ensemble
And generosity.

To better understand the nature of my materials,
I promise to experiment
With light, line, sound, gravity, language
And bit ideas.
I promise to think, feel, move, breath,
Experience and understand.
I vow to dream,to imagine, and to enact

I vow to treat myself and every other
Inhabitant of earth,
With compassion, kindness, and respect.
I vow to live fully every moment I am alive,
And to put something beautiful in the world
That wasn't there before
In order that I may help to put a grin
On the face of the future.


Artists that inspire me. Who inspires you?

Bobby McFerrin


Gene Kelly


Sylvie Guillem



No comments:

Post a Comment