Monday, November 4, 2013

Nutcracker season

That time of year has come again! Time to sew point shoes, break out the legwarmers, and pack a few extra tea bags in my dance bag. That's right! Nutcracker!

Nutcracker season was always my favorite part of the year when I was young and dancing at Pasadena Dance Theatre. It's been a few years since I've participated in this magical ballet and although I thought I wouldn't be performing in this show again, I'm more than ecstatic to be back!

The only problem is that I knew what I was getting into...but my feet didn't. Ouch!

Here are a few things that have really helped me get back into the magic of nutcracker rehearsals, including a few new tricks and suggestions I picked up from other dancers!



1) Capezio pro ballet flats. Dancewear companies are always coming out with new crazy looking ballet flats but these puppies have never failed me. Every once and a while i'll switch to leather, for the longevity.

2) Apples, and lots of 'em. I used to never be able to finish a whole apple myself but I think it's safe to say that since this is one of my hubby's favorite fruits, i've been eating more of them.

3) Freed pointe shoes. I've tried so many pointe shoes and have had a lot of difficulty finding ones with a long enough box to fit my low arched feet. My last pair were Bloc Alpha (3/4 shank) but I have high hopes for my new Freeds.

4) Green Tea. You can never have enough green tea. It's great hot or cold and can you say antioxidants?!

5) Body wrapper full body tight. I love these tights for a couple of reasons. First of all, I throw away the removable straps right away. Because of all the extra fabric, these tights are super comfortable to wear folded over your hips, and you aren't left with any rolls due to tight elastic. 

6) Sour Patch Kids. I would be happy with reeses, yogurt covered pretzels, or snickers (to name a few) but sometimes I just need a delicious boost of processed sugary goodness!

7) Sippy cup! (or at least that's what my husband calls it). These wonderful inventions keep my iced drinks cold and the inside doesn't stain when I put tea bags in it.

8) Almonds. The 3 Ps... perfect protein portion. The perfect snack to much on between rehearsals.

9) Epsom Salts! Unfortunately I don't have a bath at home but I'll use a plastic washing tub and fill it with 1/2 C salt and warm water to soak my feet. 

10) My favorite leotards, mostly Yumiko and Class In. 

11) Oder eaters/ disinfectant shoe spray. Enough said.


To keep up-to-date on Nutcracker rehearsals at Pasadena Dance Theatre, be sure to follow us on Instagram here!



Tickets for the Nutcracker are on sale now at pasadenadance.org

xx D

No comments:

Post a Comment